Wednesday, March 22, 2017

T Drama List

I was supposed to write the Taiwanese drama first before the C drama list because I was introduced to T drama first before following C drama. It is because I think T drama is the closest to K drama compare to C drama or even more J drama in term of characteristics. So it is only natural I branch out to T drama if ever I went through K drama slump. Upon the time I started writing these list, I was on T drama slump though right now I have been following King of Romance with Lego Lee in it. C drama list has been take over its position in recent years since I have been go ga ga over My Sunshine, Nirvana on Fire, and Princess Weiyoung. 

From T drama I was introduced to a term called idol drama. At first I thought it only a term to describe a drama that the cast consist of actors who are idol at the first place. They only foray into acting on drama territory to promote their main work like an album or single or to maintain their popularity by staying in the limelight. Whether they can or cannot act is whole other thing. Thus they are picked not because their acting capability but based on their popularity. It is not something unusual for idol taking apart on drama cast whether in Korean, Chinese, or Japanese drama. But in Taiwanese drama realm, term idol drama embodied another whole of new meaning.

Idol drama in Taiwan drama doesn't just mean it is a drama that inhibited by idol actor. It is also describing a set of drama characterization which includes drama genre, drama story plot and drama character development. I don’t know about J drama, I don’t really follow Japan entertainment, but in K dramas though some dramas use idols as their main cast or supporting cast, the drama itself is not much different with a drama that doesn’t cast idol actor. I can’t actually say there’s an ‘idol’ drama in K drama, I can only say there’s a drama that casts idol(s) to play one of the characters.

While in T drama, Idol drama typically has romance genre. Or should I say they insist on focusing on romance, slightly touch social issue, and stay remote from politic. If you can watch some historical period dramas in K/J/C drama, you can only wish to find one in T drama. I think it is because there’s still political dispute between China government and Taiwan government (China government think Taiwan is still a part of their territory while Taiwan government think Taiwan is a sovereign country). Even though Taiwan and China actor still can work back and forth in both countries. Needless to say, they have two mouths to be pleased. They can’t offend both, the mouths that feed them. So the decision to not to touch sensitive part like political issue, is a wise decision.

By the time I write this (March 2017) there’s a conflict between China and South Korea about installation of Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system by SK. This problem has escalated to banning of any South Korean products included dramas and any form of entertainment to enter China territory done by China government. So now I wonder, how Taiwanese citizen’s reaction about this. I mean they have experienced this kind of political tension for years. I can imagine they have been tsk-tsk-tsking at the back and say see this is what we have been facing for yearsss, buddy. As an international fan, I just thank God, I’m not China citizen or I can’t have my K drama, oppa and eonni fixed. Or I’m not a SK citizen who slightly feels like betraying my country because gluing myself to C drama instead my own country drama. You know what happens when you betraying your country in K drama realm, you can’t be destined to be together with your childhood first love oppa or hit by the truck of doom 😁

We are just young like that
So here we have limited drama genre choices. Its drama’s contain is also always on safe territory. Not too much skip-ship or revealing costumes or grotesque violence. It doesn’t cross, like I said before in C drama list, the social construction that held by Confucian society just as C drama does. The character development is tailored to match the young cast. The female main lead character is usually a candy-type character or she can be a 20 to 30 something career woman who is in struggle to balance her office and romance life. And the male main lead character is more or less in the same characterization as in C dramas. Probably he is younger and is not as preserved or quiet type as in C drama? Oh yeah the male main lead character usually has some painful childhood, or has gone through traumatic past, or daddy/mommy issue. Blerg. I hate this kind of character, like what happen in the past becomes some excuse of their lack of character or is written to buy our sympathy.

I don't know why they dress her like this. I think they want her to look like boho chic, but her costumes are so unflattering. The costumes don't match with her drama character and her cutesy, squeaky voice, I mean.....*sigh* if it is not for Lego Lee
The characterization also is kept on the safe side. They have to keep their character trendy! Demure and like able! I think it can be a wise decision too, since they cast many young, new comer actors. In K dramas whose genre more diverse, sometimes the young idol actor is not up to the task to play the complicated character needed in dramas. It can be a turn-off point. Safe character means audience can learn to love them as the episodes go by.

I like a drama that has the contemplative vibe in telling its story. J drama is good in doing this no matter how wacky the characterization or the story. K drama is moody on this subject, sometimes it is good, sometimes it is not. C drama is more plots driven. T dramas…. This is my problem with T drama. It seems to me that its storytelling is kind of superficial, lack of substance or social issue and contemplative vibe.

And the humor style. J drama usually has the wacky, over the top humor which sometimes I just don’t get it. LOL. If I want dark humor (subtle, rather sardonic), I will watch K drama (though K movie is even better in doing dark humor). And T drama, errr the on-your-face joke, toilet joke, physical joke are the type that usually is used in T drama. It is not my type of humor. I don’t laugh on such kind of humor, seriously. I can watch comedy shows and movies with straight face. Sorry, but not sorry for my phlegmatic self and fond of dark-witty humor. And don’t forget the character that written solely for joke source. This character usually is played by some fat lady or weird with unflattering costume girl. Dude I hate it, really hate it. If you don’t want to be such kind of character in real life, why write about it??


So this is the last series of my K/J/C/T drama list. My favorite and gate-away is of course K drama that can be seen in the looong list. But I can’t say or judge which drama is better or is worse. It all depends on your taste. Whichever suits your mood, all is up to you. I’m here for fun ride.

T drama list (will be up-dated):


At The Dolphin Bay
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2003
Episode: 28 episodes
Genre: Romance
Actors: Angela Chang, Ambrose Hsu, Wallace Huo
sPlotlight:
I think Angela Chang and Ambrose Hsu play childhood friends who like each other and separated then meet again once they are adult At The Dolphin Bay (Aha!). I remember Ambrose Hsu plays this quiet, aloof male main character, not the sorry ass hero we usually find in dramas. And the OST, I love the OST, I still remember until now.



Autumn Concerto
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2010
Episode: 34 episodes
Genre: Romance, melodrama
Actors: Vanness Wu, Ady An, Tiffany Hsu
sPlotlight:
Like My Sunshine (C drama), it is a classic romance melodrama. Everyone who is fond of the genre probably will like it. It has the typical romance melodrama conflicts that are prevalent in drama universe: parent disproval, meddling second female lead, secret pregnancy, first-meet-cute ends with prolong bickering, misunderstanding leads to separation, yada, yada, yada but it hooks you up no matter how many times you have watched it. Tsk, tsk, tsk


Before We Get Married
Country: Taiwan
Released year: 2019
Episode: 13 episodes
Genre: Romance drama
Actors: Jasper Liu, Puff Guo
sPlotlight:
This is far below from my expectation. I expected some hot makjang affair, with some humor that poke fun with it self, and social commentary. But eh it isn’t K drama. I almost didn’t make it to the very last episode. The last few episodes are just…. What I don’t like from T drama that it tends to wean off at last episodes where it should pick up the pace.


In Time with You
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2011
Episode: 13 episodes
Genre: Romance, Friend-to-lover
Actors: Bolin Chen, Ariel Lin
sPlotlight:
I love this! The friend-turns-to-love story done right! Should I confess or not? If she/he doesn’t accept it would she/he still want to be my best friend? Which one to pick hot boyfriend or comfortable best friend? Why can’t I seem to settle down even so after so many dating? I have this cute/hot girl/boyfriend by my side, why can’t I seem to love her/him? I have this perfect girl/boyfriend why do I still feel it isn’t right? Hello, you have such hard questions about the biggest mysteries of the world to answer. How lucky!


Just You
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2013
Episode: 21 episodes
Genre: Romantic comedy
Actors: Aaron yang, Puff Guo
sPlotlight:
A romance between a stoic, obsessive-compulsive boss who prohibits romance at workplace and his employee who also his roommate. 


Rainless Love In A Godless Land
Country: Taiwan
Released year: 2021
Episode: 13 episodes
Genre: Romance drama, Fantasy
Rating: 4/5
Actors: Joanne Tseng, Fu Meng Bo, Alice Ko
sPlotlight:
This feels more like Someday, or One Day. It gets the same edgy feeling. And also the feeling that it is trying so damn hard to be complicated but the resolution leaves me dumbfounded. Hah. Because it came from the same writer. The love story story means to gut wrenching like one in Someday, or One Day (I cried buckets), I understand. It hits so hard back at home for me, more than Someday, or One Day. But I don't know why the romance is never got there emotionally, always lukewarm. I guess it is because the acting part, Fu Meng Bo is still not channeling 'the eye acting'. His eyes are never looked like he really falls in love so bad and so deep, like he will never resurrect (LOL). Mean while, he is manly hot, I can't get my eyes off  him. Ha ha ha... I will always trust the PD and writer in picking actor for ML, after Greg Hsu and Fu Meng Bo, even not working in acting part, the visual is top notch. I approve!


Someday or One Day

Country: Taiwan
Released year: 2020
Episode: 13 episodes
Genre: Romance drama, time travel
Rating: 4/5
Actors: Greg Hsu, Alice Ko
sPlotlight:
Now this is how you are stepping up your game, T drama! The directional work maybe a little bit wonky, but general storyline is great. You just need not to skip a beat or you might miss some clues. LOL. I cried, and cried, and cried some more watching this. I think it hit me right at home somewhere along the confusing parallel time lines. And Greg Hsu is sooo cute 
 

The Way We Were
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2014
Episode: 16 episodes
Genre: Melodrama
Actors: Ruby Lin, Tiffany Hsu, Yang Yi Zhang
sPlotlight:
Beware of sad ending with best friend-turns-to-lover trap. Along the series I kept question myself why they can be together already? (Duh! Why did you even question yourself? Like you are a ‘new’ drama fan? *rollseyes*). I meant there were no reasonable reason for not to be together. See Drama God mad at you cue the ending.


Meteor Garden Season 1
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2001
Episode: 27 episodes
Genre: Romance
Source: Hana Yori Dango by Yoko Kamio
Actors: Barbie Hsu, Jerry Yan, Vic Chou, Vanness Wu, Ken Chu
sPlotlight:
It is the only Boys Over Flower adaptation that I watched fully. I guess being me in teenage years is one of the factor I could finish the drama. As I get older, my patient for bullies, immature, arsh-hole male character grows thin.


Meteor Garden Season 2
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2002
Episode: 31 episodes
Genre: Romance
Actors: Barbie Hsu, Jerry Yan, Vic Chou, Vanness Wu, Ken Chu, Michelle Saram
sPlotlight:
Why do I remember more Michelle Saram’s scenes than Barbie Hsu’s scenes?


Marry Me or Not
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2015
Episode: 15 episodes
Genre: Romantic comedy
Actors: Alice Ko, Roy Chiu, Joanne Tseng
sPlotlight
I think Alice Ko’s character and Roy Chiu’s character got lobotomy at the end? They are like two different people at the end compared to the beginning of the series.


Fated To Love You
Country: Taiwan
Released Year: 2008
Episode: 24 episodes
Genre: Romantic comedy
Actors: Ethan Ruan, Joe Chen
sPlotlight:
Is finding your future husband randomly drunk sleeping at your side at the beginning of the relationship counted as fated?

No comments: